- The PIV Challenge has been held in 2001, 2003 and 2005,
to exchange the knowledge of the PIV image analysis techniques.
Many teams around the world contributed to analyze
the PIV images provided by the organizers.
With comparing the contributed results, the characteristics
of the PIV evaluation algorithms have been discussed.
This Web-site is the official Web-site for PIV Challenge.
All of the information, including the test images, are found on
Please freely link this web-site.
- PIV Challenge 01 (Sept.14-15, 2001, Goettingen, Germany)
"Main results of the First International PIV Challenge,"
Stanislas, M., Okamoto K. and Kaehler, C.,
Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.14 (2003) R63-R89.
- PIV Challenge 03 (Sept.19-20, 2003, Busan, Korea)
"Main results of the Second International PIV Challenge,"
Stanislas, M., Okamoto K., Kaehler, C. and Westerveel, J.,
Experiments in Fluids, Vol.39, No.2 (2005), 170-191
- PIV Challenge 05 (Sept.19-20, 2005, Pasadena, USA)
"Main results of the third international PIV Challenge"
M. Stanislas, K. Okamoto, C. J. Kaehler, J. Westerweel and F. Scarano,
Experiments in Fluids, Vol.45, No.1 (2008), 27-71
- Images for PIV Challenges
- PIV Challenge 01 (Goettingen)
- Challenge on PIV image evaluation and post processing algorithms
Images of PIV Challenge 01 (open to public)
- CASE A Strong Vortex (Experimental image)
- CASE B Strong Vortex (Synthetic image)
- CASE C Noisy Image (Experimental image)
- CASE E Shear Flow (Synthetic image)
- PIV Challenge 03 (Busan)
- Challenges for the turbulent structure
analysis and Camera characteristics
Images of PIV Challenge 03 (open to public)
- CASE A Turbulent Jet (Experimental image)
- CASE B Wall Turbulent Flow (Synthetic image)
- CASE C Camera Characteristics (Experimental image)
- PIV Challenge 05 (Pasadena)
- Assessment of Spatial resolution, Time-resolved PIV and Stereo PIV.
Images of PIV Challenge 05 (open to public)
- CASE A Spatial resolution (Synthetic image)
- CASE B Time-resolved Channlel Flow (Synthetic image)
- CASE C Time-resolved Jet Flow (Experimental image)
- Contact Address
- Prof. Koji OKAMOTO
School of Frontier Sciences,
The University of Tokyo
- JPIV: Particle Image Velocimetry Standard Project